Sunday, April 18, 2010

Recap of "Everybody Loves Hugo" Recap

Hello to my loyal reader! The bad news first: This week's recap will be especially short. The good news: It's because I wasted all my time editing the very special premiere episode of our "Totally Lost" analysis show, "Totally Doc Jensen"! But before we get to that--


Sleeping Beauty, Anti-Christ, Pretty Woman, Kiss' "All Hell's Breaking Loose"... and those were just the references in the first paragraph! Yes, it was that kind of week in the land of Jensen. But then again, isn't every week that kind of week with Doc?


Amazingly, Doc's recap, entitled "Well, Well, Well", managed to cite over 62,000 cultural references in just 10 pages. A new record! That breaks down to 1.4 PER WORD!!! How does he do it??


I find a good rule of thumb in predicting Doc's scattershot, arbitrary and damn near meteorological patterns of analysis is, "As Jack goes, so goes Jeff Jensen." Well, I wouldn't have included this unless I was proven right this week: right on page 2, Doc basically parrots Jack's new philosophy of not giving 2 shits about anything on the island, because it is all equally retarded. He says it in a slightly more publishable way, though ("I'm beginning to think that the world of Lost [sic], there is no such thing as 'the right move to make.'")


Then, in a move no one could have predicted, Doc does something a little avant-garde and decides to divide his normal back-and-forth, schizophrenic train of thought into bold questions and plain-fonted answers. I guess it's nice to formalize your insanity sometimes; it helps you gain some semblance of control back, right Doc?


Do you think that was a nice thing to say?


No, I'm very sorry. I often have a 48-hour period of guilt after each of my recaps.


Anyway, Doc dropped some names this week that definitely got my fanboy attention-- Pink Floyd, Seinfeld, German social psychologist Erich Fromm (definitely the stud of the Frankfurt School of critical theory!). And if you want to find out more about any of the references from Doc Jensen's column this week, just hit the "Random Article" button on Wikipedia. Statistically speaking, you're likely to land on something Doc has connected to Lost in his latest recap. Plus, that's probably how he comes up with this stuff anyway.


And now, without further ado: TOTALLY DOC JENSEN! Enjoy!


(NOTE: My low-rent blog is having trouble fitting the full video in the layout, so click HERE to watch on YouTube.)


No comments:

Post a Comment